A healthy lawn all year long.
Start the growing season on a healthy note with March’s list of natural lawn care practices.
Dates may vary by geographic location and turfgrass species. Choose practices based on your lawn’s specific needs.
Things to do in March:
- Spring clean your yard. Clean up winter debris and properly dispose of litter. Rake leaves still on the lawn, or mulch them using your mower.
- Sharpen mower blades.
- Get your lawn mower ready by completing maintenance tasks. Consult your owner’s manual for more specifics.
- Begin regular mowing when grass starts to grow.
- Leave grass clippings on the lawn to return organic matter, nitrogen, and moisture to the soil.
- Choose your desired maintenance level to help you decide on a fertilizing schedule, based on lawn quality and maintenance preferences (i.e., low, medium, high).
- Look for pests (e.g., weeds, insects, and diseases) twice per month.
- Turn on and inspect your irrigation system (if applicable).
In The Weeds
If you’re ready, jump into the weeds to explore even more sustainable lawn management practices.